Plan a simple Color for a Cause Party, and start coloring!
Why color? And for what cause? I’m glad you asked!
Coloring offers an (inexpensive) way to relax, to slow down, to focus our minds and thoughts without having to focus our minds and thoughts. You know what I mean?
A Cause to Color For
City Rescue Mission feeds between 600 and 800 individuals – on Thanksgiving Day alone. And that doesn’t include all the people they feed daily.
To brighten their holiday, and let them know they are loved, you can help color paper place mats for their Thanksgiving Meal.
A simple gift. A bright spot. An Edith Schaeffer moment for them.
Other Causes to Color For
- Local women’s shelter
- Ronald McDonald Houses around the world
- Nursing homes
- Homeless shelters and recovery centers
How To Do It
- For easies, you can print out coloring pages and color away!
To make them placemat size:
- Print onto legal size paper. the picture may be off-center, but that will make it peek out behind plates – and leaves room for a written message.
- Glue the coloring page on a larger sheet of construction paper.
- Use happy colors
- Draw happy drawings
- Choose happy coloring pages
- Avoid using glitter. It can get in the food (ew!) or medical devices (ouch!)
- Ask the organization if you can share messages on the placemats, sentiments such as: Jesus loves you! or Happy Thanksgiving! (City Rescue Mission welcomes us to do this for Christ truly is our only hope whether we have brick-and-mortar homes or under-bridges homes.)
Use your best loving judgment in choosing coloring pages, keeping the recipients’ circumstances in mind. For example, printing a loving husband and wife page may be more upsetting than uplifting to women being sheltered from abuse.
DOUBLE REALITY CHECK: This post has been edited for clarification and heart purposes since it’s initial posting. Just like us, blogs are works in progress. 🙂
Updated Oct 2014