Write a Note to Your Shoebox Recipient
Samaritan’s Purse highly recommends we add a card or letter to our shoebox treasures, so let’s use some of that paper we talked about and write a little note.
You are thankful, but you wonder: Who sent this to me? And why?
Getting to Know the Giver
It’s lovely to receive gifts, but we want to know the giver.
- What are they like?
- What were they thinking when they packed my shoebox?
- Why do they care?
- What is life like where they live?
We want to know about them because it helps us know that they care about us as people.
We aren’t just ministry projects to keep people busy for God.
What Should We Say?
What would you want to hear from the giver if you received a surprise package?
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Your first name (and last name, if you hope they will write to you).
- Where you live (Just the country or state if you are more comfortable with anonymity, or send your address and they might write back!).
- Why you chose the gifts you chose.
- Why you make gifts for your shoeboxes.
- Jesus loves them.
- God cares about their lives.
- Your favorite Bible verse.
- What you like to do in your free time.
You Asketh Too Much, Suzanne
I understand if you feel overwhelmed at the thought of writing a letter. We all have our interests and writing may not be one of yours. Even with all the writing I do, a blank piece of stationery can give me the shivers.
No worries, no stress, no problem!
An Easy Way to Connect
Operation Christmas Child has an easy way to connect with your shoebox recipient.
Print out this coloring page/letter combo, fill in the blanks and toss it in your shoebox! Voila! Communication!
More Letter Writing Ideas
If you are looking for more ideas to spark your pen’s enthusiasm, here are a few blog posts to check out.
- Clip With Purpose: Sample Letter
- Simply Shoeboxes: Tips on Writing a Letter
- Simply Shoeboxes: LetterMo Challenge
- Faithful Provisions: Letter Ideas
It’s Your Turn
- What do you like to tell people about yourself when you first meet them? Tell us, too! We want to know you better!